08 October 2005

Review: Emma




Rating: ☆☆☆☆

Title: Emma

Author: Jane Austen

Genre: Classics

Read: 7 Oct 2005





Comments: Here is, as I promised, my first review. (Although perhaps ramblings would be a more accurate description.)

Just finished reading 'Emma', and I quite enjoyed it. I find it difficult sometimes to accurately gauge the seriousness of various supposed breaches of propriety in these old novels though, since mores and customs have changed so much. The attention to various subtle distinctions in rank, and the absolute pride in snobbery and classism that everyone displays is also a bit jarring; and not really knowing very much about the period, (I find anyway) it's difficult to asses whether the author is in agreement with the sentiments of the characters or subtly parodying them.

Leaving that aside for the moment though; it was a very amusing and charming book and I particularly liked the long rambling speeches from Miss Bates, and the cheerful nastiness of Mrs. Elton, who was definitely a character everyone can love to hate.

Next on my list is 'The Intelligencer' (see below). I like to alternate classics with trash, as I think it gives a fuller appreciation of both.

Quote: "A young farmer, whether on horseback, or on foot, is the very last sort of person to raise my curiosity. The yeomanry are precisely the order of people with whom I feel I can have nothing to do. A degree or two lower, and a creditable appearence might interest me; I might hope to be useful to their families in some way or other. But a farmer can need none of my help, and is therefore in one sense as much above my notice as in every other he is below it."

  • Emma

  • Goog Niter!

    P.S. re-edited to gel with my new format

    Labels:

    1 Comments:

    Blogger kumagoro said...

    Wow, Emily Santiago is sooo informative! Let's all click her links!

    08 October, 2005 19:31  

    Post a Comment

    << Home