30 November 2007

Yamamba sighting in Umeda

Last weekend Sho-chan and I went to Osaka for the day and we saw a real live Yamamba in front of Hep-5 in Umeda! I was pretty psyched and I managed to get a decent pic as well, so enjoy.


We planned to visit the aquarium in Tempozan, but we ended up watching a street performance instead and then going to the IMAX theatre at the Suntory Museum. They were both really cool, altough Sho-chan fell asleep in the middle of the IMAX movie. (It was about life in the coral reefs and it was pretty sweet with giant jelly-fish that looked like they were coming right at you when you out on your 3-D glasses.)

We saw this guy at Tempozan too.


He's an 'ame-zaiku' or candy-art maker and he makes all kinds of candies in the shape of different animals or cartoon characters. The ones we saw were Cinamaroll and the Kao-nashi guy from 'Sen to Chihiro' (That's 'Spirited Away' to you folks at home). And he took requests as well, so I got a frog (of course) but I forgot to take a picture of it and when I took it out of my bag after a few hours the fingers and eyes had broken off...

Here is Sho-chan eating the remnants anyway, though.


Also the ame-zaiku guy gave me a ball of the candy stuff so I could try to make my own at home, but I only ended up burning my thumb on it after putting it in the microwave too long....

Oh well....Goog afternooner everyone!
And in case you care:
  • What is a Yamamba?
  • What is ame-zaiku?

    Labels: ,

  • 5 Comments:

    Blogger chihiro said...

    このアメ細工の人、昨日テレビに出てたよ!!!
    弟子と対決してた。
    もちろんこの人が勝ってたけどね♪

    30 November, 2007 17:39  
    Blogger Becki said...

    マジで?
    メッチャいい人やったで。

    30 November, 2007 20:00  
    Blogger Joanne said...

    What an amazing girl! I can only assume that her parents or friends are supporting her, since she couldn't possibly keep a job with that look (or find time for one).
    Checked the Wiki link for the candy.Very similar to marzipan art, but glossy. It just seems wrong to eat something that pretty.

    02 December, 2007 03:20  
    Blogger Becki said...

    It is wrong. Just like marzipan it tastes like crap!
    ha ha ha ha ha!

    02 December, 2007 07:59  
    Blogger Joanne said...

    So true! Whereas ugly little horehound drops are yummy! Exceptions to the pretty/yucky rule: Maple sugar, Chocolate rabbits

    08 December, 2007 21:27  

    Post a Comment

    << Home