23 June 2008

Yatta!


Ok- I know I'm super-late to the party, but I've just recently become addicted to "Heroes". My Mom recommended it to me several times, but unfortunately it was impossible to find in Japan. However, last week when Sho-chan and I went to Tsutaya they had a big Heroes display with all the episodes from the first series. We rented the first two disks and watched all 5 episodes on them in one go!

After that I was well and truly hooked and I went back the next day to rent the next 4 DVDs, then back 2 days after that to rent the final 5. I watched the entire first series in less than a week, and now I can't wait until the second series comes out over here. Of course Hiro is my favorite character. He's so adorable with those little chubby cheeks and those glasses and that childish smile of his. I just want to pinch his cheeks and give hima big hug.

It was interesting to watch the various scenes in Japan, because whoever the set-designer was, they've obviously never been here. All the outdoor sets looked like they came from some weird 1980s bubble version of Japan, and other scenes, like the office cubicles were just plain wrong. (Japanese offices don't usually have individual cubicles they have blocks of desks set up facing each other.) Also a lot of the cultural refernces that Hiro makes (X-men, Star-trek etc.) would be unknown to a Japanese guy of his generation, even a big nerd. I realize they had to use characters American nerd viewers would know, but why not go with Astro-boy or Gundam or Macross something else popular with geeks in both countries?

Also, although Hiro's Japanese is quite good (apparetly he's fluent), all of the other actors' Japanese is bad to the point of requiring subtitles, (apart from his sister Kimiko, who is actually Japanese.) The police "interpreter" in the first episode was especially egregious as was the waitress Charlie. George Takei is stilted but understandable. Ando is obviously trying hard, but his intonation is really weird, which makes it hard to follow him, and since he's Korean he has trouble distinguishing between some voiced and unvoiced sounds. He gets an A+ for effort, though.

Are there really so few actors that can speak Japanese that they had to cast Chinese and Korean actors instead?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

My wife gets almost angry about Ando's Japanese. I have the same attitude as you, that he's really trying. And, embarrassingly, his Japanese is probably much better than mine, even if it's read phonetically from a script.

I really enjoyed the "Tokyo" set with the banners of Kanji hanging along the street. Felt just like home. Or maybe like the set of a high school production of the Mikado.

23 June, 2008 23:36  
Blogger Becki said...

Wow! Thanks for the comment. yYou have good timing, I just posted that a few minutes ago!

I thought the Tokyo set was interesting, it shows what the average American's idea of Japan is like. The Rajio Taiso on the roof-top scene was classic as well.

23 June, 2008 23:52  
Blogger Paul said...

I have you in my RSS feeds and happened to notice a new post. Wasn't aware it was so soon after your post. Cree-pay!

The Tokyo set kind of reminded me of the movie Black Rain (the Ridley Scott film, not the one about the Hiroshimo bombing), although I saw it years ago and might not be giving it enough credit. That movie sort of formed my early images of Japan. That and You Only Live Twice. Surprisingly, it was the Godzilla movies of my youth that were probably more accurate.

24 June, 2008 14:44  
Blogger Becki said...

You have me in your RSS feed? Thanks, that's quite a compliment. I'll have to start blogging more often...

The pressure!!! The pressure!!!

Just kidding. Do you have a blog I can check out? Clicking on your name just produces a blank profile...

24 June, 2008 22:09  
Blogger Joanne said...

Of course Hiro is the Hero (but isn't that what Nohara Hiro says about himself, too?). As for poor Ando - leave him alone! He's got a great comic sidekick role and he manages to read cue cards for Japanese AND English.
And George Takei! If you think his Japanese is stilted, perhaps you have never listened to him speak English.
You are all dead on about Americans seeing Japan through a filter of Ridley Scott and Philip K Dick - maybe less so now than 20 years ago, but dreams have a long life.

25 June, 2008 08:47  
Blogger Becki said...

Actually to tell the truth, the last time I watched the original Star Trek was so long ago I don't really remember George Takei's speaking stlye. I take it it's pretty bad.

Oh and not to be a nitpicker, Mom, but it's Nakamura Hiro. Nohara is Crayon Shin-chan: Nohara Shin'nosuke

25 June, 2008 11:08  
Blogger Paul said...

That's me, a blank profile. No blog here. I only use this ID for my Gmail and posting on Blogger blogs. I've tried to keep some sort of online journal in the past, but end up abandoning them for months or years at a time.

I just saw a clip on YouTube of Masi Oka on Downtown's show Lincoln. I saw a moment of someone making fun of Ando's Japanese, and Hiro did some (super)human beatboxing.

Regarding RSS feeds, the more prolific the blogger the more likely I am to remove the feed because I waste too much time reading it, so no pressure here. I am going to have to check out that udon place, though.

25 June, 2008 15:05  
Blogger Joanne said...

Not to pick right back atcha, but Shin-chan's dad is exactly who I meant! I was trying for a little light humor but I guess I missed by a mile! In the dubs we get here he plays on his name a lot...

26 June, 2008 09:06  
Blogger Becki said...

Ah! Gotcha... and sorry to repick you, but Shinchan's Dad is Hiroshi not Hiro.

So, neener neener to you!

26 June, 2008 15:06  
Blogger Paul YM said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

26 June, 2008 23:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home