28 April 2007

Wild Kingdom: Sanda


Today as I was biking back home from the gym, I saw the darndest thing: an otter.

I was biking across one of the bridges on the Muko River when I saw something scurry across the road. Unfortunately it ran into some bushes before I could get a good luck at it, but I'm almost willing to swear it was an otter. It was definitely a small furry mammal with short little stumpy legs and a long tail.

It was too small to be a tanuki and too low to the ground to be a cat, so I think it really was an otter, except; I just looked up Japanese otters on Wikipedia and apparently they're thougt to be extinct, with the last verified sighting having been in Kochi in 1979! I don't know what to make of it! It really wasn't the right shape to be anything but an otter, although Erica suggested it might have been a giant salamander... Let me know what you think!

Goog Niter!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could have been a ferret or mink. I've seen a weasel in Sanda before and I'm not talking about Luke.

28 April, 2007 09:05  
Blogger Becki said...

Aha! It could very well've been a chubby weasel.
Thanks anonymous!

28 April, 2007 15:32  
Blogger kumagoro said...

Maybe it was the rare and unusual weiner cat (cousin to the weiner dog).

29 April, 2007 09:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It could have been a Japanese Marten. It is Marten (or Marder) season in Germany right now which means car owners have to be very careful (the little buggers love chewing on tyres and brake cables and such like). Hopefully the Japanese Martens don't share the black rubber fetish of their European cousins.

29 April, 2007 20:43  
Blogger Becki said...

Who is that anonymous? It doesn't sound like Tristan this time...

30 April, 2007 11:37  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stoat's are quite common in Japan. They belong to the family Mustelidae and are sometimes referred to as the wild otter.
This could possibly be your culprit.

30 April, 2007 19:23  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops, the author of the comment about the Japanese Marten critters was me - Danielle. Forgot to sign my name to it but I thought the reference to Germany (and the black rubber fetish) was enough.

30 April, 2007 22:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home